The 5 Best Catfish Rod and Reel Combo Options You Should Consider
Catfish are stronger than a lot of other freshwater fish. They can be a mere few inches long. But they can also grow to unbelievable sizes.
There are several species of catfish. But if you’re a beginner, you’ll learn that they all have whiskers in common. Hence, the name catfish.
When you’re cat-fishing, you need a rod and reel combo that can withstand the strength of some of the larger ones. It should have little flex, only enough to alert you it’s on the line.
We gathered up the 5 best catfish rod and reel combos. These are our favorite and they can take a catfish any day of the week.
Best Catfish Rod And Reel Combos
- Quantum Pier Fishing Rod and Reel Combo
- Accurate Boss Fury Single Speed Fishing Reel and Extreme BX Series Rod
- Avet Silver Hook Rod and Speed Reel Combo
- Zebco Fin-Nor Bait Teaser Rod and Reel Combo
- Shimano Custom Rod and Reel Combo
1. OUR FAVORITE CATFISH ROD AND REEL COMBO: QUANTUM PIER FISHING ROD AND REEL COMBO
Length: 9 feet
Rod Material: High-density carbon fiber
Reel Material: SCR aluminum
Reel Weight: 24 ounces
Maximum Drag: 45 pounds
Line Capacity: 14/300
- The handle is one of the coolest features on this catfish fishing rod. It’s a lightweight diamond-textured vinyl with an EVA grip. It’s comfortable and easy on your hands.
- The rod in this combo is lightweight. It’s easy to carry and even easier to maneuver.
- There’s increased casting distance than previous Quantum fishing rod models.
- It has increased sensitivity so you’ll know right away when a catfish is on the line.
- The braided line-friendly guides are Pac Bay aluminum oxide.
- They make the reel seat out of graphite.
- The drag system on the fishing reel is from carbon fiber, sealed Magnum CSC ceramic, and stainless steel. There’s also a sealed Magnum clutch.
- There’s a TiMag ll titanium fail-proof bail wire with a magnetic trip.
- It has 8 PT ball bearings.
2. RUNNER-UP: ACCURATE BOSS FURY SINGLE SPEED REEL AND EXTREME BX SERIES ROD
Length: 7 feet
Rod Material: 6-ply graphite glass material
Reel Material: 6061-T6 billet aircraft aluminum
Reel Weight: 20 ounces
Maximum Drag: 22 pounds
Line Capacity: 20/325
- Due to all the lightweight material used for this rod and reel combo, it’s a lightweight pole.
- The handle is rubber and ergonomic. Your hand won’t fatigue or cramp when holding your pole for a long time.
- There’s a fast action tip on this rod and silicon carbide guides.
- Accurate Boss makes the reel from heavy-duty 6061-T6 billet aircraft aluminum. It’s tough and it’s going to take a lot to damage it. And it has an aluminum finish.
- The gears are stainless steel, even tougher than the casting reel itself.
- There’s a greased AccuDrag system that can take up to 22 pounds. Your line isn’t going to snap anytime soon.
- It has a double anti-reverse Dawg system.
- The 4 ball bearings are class 5 ABEC stainless steel.
3. RUNNER-UP: AVET SILVER HOOK ROD AND SPEED REEL COMBO
Length: 7 feet
Rod Material: Machined marine-grade aluminum
Reel Material: Machined marine-grade aluminum and stainless steel
Reel Weight: 12 ounces
Maximum Drag: 20 pounds
Line Capacity: 15/250, 20/175
- The casting rod is super sensitive so you’ll have no doubts that a line is on the hook.
- The machined marine-grade aluminum gives it the durability you need while catfishing.
- The casting reel has a true one-piece frame to deliver durability and double the strength.
- It’s anodized to make it corrosion-resistant. It also gives it a fantastic finish.
- The gears are heavy-duty stainless steel.
- They use their patented and indestructible silent dog and anti-reverse system.
- There are 8 sealed stainless steel ball bearings.
- Everything is made in the United States of America.
4. RUNNER-UP: ZEBCO FIN-NOR BAIT TEASER ROD AND REEL COMBO
Length: 8 feet
Rod Material: Rigid graphite
Maximum Drag: 24 pounds
Line Capacity: 14/240
- There are double-footed aluminum oxide guides.
- Both the side cover and gear are heavy-duty aluminum to protect the reel.
- The spinning reel with this rod lets you free-spool a catfish with the littlest of resistance. You’ll have the fish in your hands in no time.
- It’s a sealed and oversized carbon MegaDrag system. Once you start reeling the catfish in, this system starts up. It can hold some and take some weight, whether you’re fishing in saltwater or freshwater.
- It also has MegaLock infinite anti-reverse.
- The 4 shielded bearings are stainless steel for extra strength and protection.
5. RUNNER-UP: SHIMANO CUSTOM ROD AND REEL COMBO
Length: 6 feet
Rod Material: Graphite and fiberglass with stainless steel frame
Reel Material: Machined aluminum
Reel Weight: 57.3 ounces
Maximum Drag: 42 pounds
Line Capacity: 80/440
- They made the turbo guides and tip-top from aluminum oxide. This creates a solid tip on the casting rod with strength and durability.
- It has an EVA foam comfort fore-grip. It doesn’t matter how wet it gets while you’re fishing, your hands will remain stable and slick-proof.
- The double thread wraps are durable thanks to the epoxy added.
- The reel seat is machined aluminum and double locking.
- It’s lightweight so you can use the reel with ease while you’re fishing away.
- They used machined aluminum for the gimbal as well.
Most of the rods and reels on this list are saltwater combos. But the beauty of it is they work fantastic for cat-fishing. They have the power and strength you need to reel in a large whiskered friend.
Source of Featured Image: canva.com