The Best Fishing Reel Grease to Keep Your Reel Spinning Fast In 2023
When you spend a ton of time and money on choosing the best reel, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for you to not take care of it. Even the most expensive reel won’t hold out in the long run if you don’t properly take care of it – this comes down to both servicing it and lubricating it with oil. While this simple act of maintenance may not seem like much when you’re doing it, you’ll be surprised just how much of a difference it makes to its performance, as well as the durability and longevity of your coil.
There is truly an abundance of fishing reel oil on the market, so it can be difficult to decide which to choose. You may find yourself wondering if there’s really much of a difference anyway, and grabbing the first one you see off the shelf. We’ve going to take you through the best fishing reel grease to keep your reel spinning fast in 2020. Because yes, some are definitely better than others!
What is Fishing Grease?
Fishing grease is used to keep the internal workings of your reel lubricated and free of friction, which also contributes to their longevity/how long you’ll actually be able to use it. This is due to the fact that without the proper care, gears can begin to get corroded over time. Without properly greasing your reel, you’ll begin to feel a grinding sensation, followed by increased friction when turning the handle. The end result will eventually be a broken internal component, making the reel that you’ve invested your precious time and money in unusable.
Now, in terms of fishing grease you should actually use, that depends on whether you’re fishing in saltwater or freshwater. Do not assume that grease is just grease when it comes to the type of water you’re fishing in – each is very different and your gears need to be treated specifically for each.
It’s also important to remember that fishing grease is meant for your internal components only. Do not use fishing grease anywhere but on the internal components, or you will have a slippery mess on your hands when trying to actually use your reel!
What to Look for When Selecting Fishing Reel Grease
Of course, the most important benefit of fishing reel grease is increasing the longevity of even a conventional reel. With the proper care and maintenance, you may not need to buy another reel ever again, regardless of freshwater reels, or reels used for saltwater fishing.
However, did you know that choosing the right fishing reel grease is almost as important as actually completing the act of greasing your reel in the first place? After using reel cleaner to ensure your fishing gear is freer of debris, it’s important to make sure that you’re applying fishing reel lubricants that contain the correct properties.
When selecting fishing reel grease, it’s important to consider the following:
- Good Lubricating Properties: It’s important to keep in mind that grease is a combination of soap and oil – and you want to look for a soap that holds the most amount of oil possible. Check the side of the bottle to find the “per ml of grease” while making your selection. Sometimes, a lighter grease won’t always work on reel bearings.
- Low Separation Rates: This refers to the rate that the oil separates from the soap. Older models of lithium soap grease will cause the oil to escape, which just leaves the soap behind.
- Corrosion Inhibiting Properties: When you’re a saltwater fisherman, water can be extremely corrosive to your gear, so it’s important to check that the grease has good corrosion inhibiting properties.
- Water Resistant: You don’t want to have to grease up your reel every time you cast. Making sure the grease is water resistant will save you a lot of time and money.
- Thermal Stability: If you’re only fishing during the warmer months, then this next point doesn’t apply to you. But if you enjoy fishing in the cold, you need to make sure that the grease has proper thermal stability, as you do not want it to harden inside your reel. Hardened grease can cause extensive corroding of the gears, which will result in you replacing your reel far sooner than you ever expected.
Our Top 3 Picks for the Best Fishing Reel Grease
1. Quantum Hot Sauce
The Quantum Hot Sauce Reel Oil has unique qualities not found in ordinary reel oils. This reel oil is a special blend of oil and additives that is a specifically designed lubricant to help the reel body easily move. It provides rust and corrosion protection even in the most unfavorable conditions. Its formula features super low friction polymers to hold grease on the wear surface.
Corrosion is an extremely common issue in fishing reels, even when lubricated by an oil. Some oils do not provide anti-corrosion properties, even if they claim to on the bottle. This Quantum oil fixes this problem.
2. Ardent Reel Butter Grease
This is a high-performance butter grease refined to perfection and is ideal for fishing reels. This lubricating oil has received rave reviews from thousands of happy customers, being referred to as the best quality oil for an affordable price. It’s extra-long lasting and will not harden, gum, or expire.
Ardent’s Reel Butter Grease has a super smooth application, bonds to steel, brass and plastic, and comes with an applicator tip for precise application.
3. Penn Reel Oil
The Penn Reel Oil is another excellent budget reel gear oil, seeing as one bottle will last you for many years to come. You truly only need a drop or two to lubricate all of the internal workings of your reel, as it’s made of only proven and high-quality components. This oil is light, liquid, and will not harden, and allows for precise application with its 4-ounce dripper bottle of oil. The Penn Reel Oil is designed to assure optimum lubrication protection against corrosion and rust and superior results for longer casting and smoother retrieval.
We hope that our selections for the 3 best fishing reel grease in 2020 will help you select the best treatment for your reel. There’s no reason why your reel won’t be able to last for decades with the proper treatment, making your fishing experience a calm and productive one (we can only hope, anyway!).